From 1916 to the present. Dachau concentration camp in the course of time

Topografie 1938The area that accommodated Dachau concentration camp from 1933 to 1945 has been constantly changing from 1916 to the present. For example, the camp was not built on undeveloped land. Some of the buildings used by the camp had belonged to a former gunpowder and munitions factory left from First World War. In 1937/38, the SS had a new, bigger internment camp built and the first camp demolished. Thus, the buildings seen on the grounds of today’s Memorial Site were built after 1937/38. There are hardly any traces remaining of the first prison camp.

After 1945, the area continued to be rebuilt and put to other uses. The former camp barracks, for instance, were used to house refugees and had been so greatly altered for this purpose that they had to be torn down when the Memorial Site was erected in 1965.

Topografie BildschirmfotoIn order to show visitors the topographical changes to the grounds and buildings of the Memorial Site, multimedia stations will be added to the topography exhibit area in October. Then touch displays will enable visitors to compare the various periods, obtain information on inaccessible buildings, and view regional and international events related to the Memorial Site’s grounds.

The expanded exhibit in the cinema hall of the Memorial Site will open at 7 pm on September 27, 2017.

 

Photos: © KZ-Gedenkstätte Dachau