Timeline: 1945 - Present

July 1945 - Summer 1948
The US military uses the former SS and prisoner camp for arrested National Socialist functionaries and members of the SS. Of the 489 procedures processed in military court, 672 accusations are raised.
1948
The US military returns the area of the former prisoner camp to the Bavarian state. A housing development is established at the camp site for refugees and those left homeless.
1955
The CID (Comité international de Dachau) is renewed. Demolition of the former crematorium is deterred.
1959
A curatorial committee is formed, and demands the creation of a memorial at the site of the former concentration camp.
1960
In the presence of 50,000 participants Johannes Neuhaeusler, bishop of Munich, inaugurates The Chapel of Christ's Mortal Fear on the grounds of theformer prisoner camp.
1962
The Bavarian state government and the CID agree on the creation of a memorial. Work begins on outlining the former barracks (the area had changed due to the construction of the refugee camp) and repairing of the walls and watch towers.
1964
Establishment of the Carmelite Convent Heilig Blut (Holy Blood)
1965
Opening of the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site, with a new documentation exhibition.
1967
Establishment of the Protestant Church of Reconciliation and the Jewish Memorial.
1968
Unveiling of the memorial sculpture by Nandor Glid.
1975 - 1985
During this decade, the memorial is increasingly used for political education. "Forgotten Victims" are of particular interest (Sinti and Roma, Jehovah's Witnesses, homosexuals). In the spring of 1980, Sinti and Roma perform a hunger strike to protest their continued discrimination.
1995
50th anniversary of the liberation of the Dachau Concentration Camp. An advisory committee is formed to develop future work on the memorial. Inauguration of the Russian Orthodox Chapel.
2001
Opening of a new partial exhibition in the former bunker.
2002 - 2003
Opening of a new permanent exhibition in the former maintenance building.
2005
On the 60th anniversary of the liberation, the memorial reopens the original entrance to the prisoner camp through the Jourhaus.
2009
Opening of the visitor's centre.