Former Subsidary Camps
Besides maintaining the camp, in the pre-war years the prisoners were forced to work in various companies owned by the SS, in road works, in gravel pits, and the cultivation of the moor. In the war years the prisoner labor force became increasingly important for the German armaments industry. From 1942 a widespread network of 140 subsidiary camps was formed, in which well over 30,000 prisoners worked almost exclusively in German armament production.
As Allied air raids increasingly endangered German aircraft production, the Nazis decided to relocate the production of important weapons, aircraft and rockets into giant subterranean factories. For this purpose, e.g. two large camp complexes were founded as subsidiary camps to Dachau: Kaufering and Mühldorf.
At Mühldorf and in the camps of the Kaufering complex near Landsberg am Lech, more than 30,000 prisoners lived and worked in murderous conditions. These prisoners were mainly Jews from Hungary, Poland and Lithuania.