Opening Hours of Archive and Library
When the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site was opened in 1965, an archive and library were also created. Both are open to the public and may be used by appointment.
The archive contains materials of varying types and origins:
|•||Photos (current count over 6,000)|
|•||Plans (Maps, Blueprints, Layouts)|
|•||Original 3-Dimensional relics|
|•||Phonograms (current count 350)|
|•||Films (current count 1,200)|
The collection comprises material concerning all aspects of the history of the Dachau Concentration Camp. The archive contains a variety of sources, particularly: eye witness reports of survivors, documents related to the development and management of the camp, post-war trial records, and holdings of the international prisoner committee founded after liberation.
In addition, there is material on the history of the camp after 1945 (internment camp in the US Army's War Crimes Program, Refugee Camp) and on the history of the memorial site.
This material is supplemented by an extensive collection of newspaper articles and journal essays dealing with concentration camps, the Holocaust, resistance, exile, Nazi post-war trials, compensation for crimes perpetrated under National Socialism, and studies of the National Socialist era.
The computerized prisoner registry contains data on more than ninety percent of the over 200,000 prisoners who were detained in the Dachau Concentration Camp.
Use of the archive and the computerized prisoner registry are subject to the provisions of Bavarian Archival Law and relevant data protection acts.
The library contains approximately 14,000 volumes on the aforementioned themes, while the main focus lies on the history of the concentration camp. A collection of unpublished scholarly works complete these holdings.
The books and documentary material in the library can only be consulted in the rooms of the memorial site and cannot be borrowed.
The library of the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site is a member of the Association of Memorial Libraries (AGGB). Since January 7, 2014 the bulk of the library stock of the memorial is recorded in the AGGB catalog (http://www.aggb-katalog.de/).