Concentration Camp Memorial Cemetery Dachau-Leitenberg

Vom From February 28 to April 27 1945, following orders issued by the Dachau camp leadership, eight mass graves were dug on the Leitenberg located in the Dachau district Etzenhausen. Possibly, as some statements indicate, the first mass grave was already dug there in October 1944. There is demonstrable proof that 4,318 dead concentration camp prisoners were buried there up until liberation on April 29, 1945. A further 1,879 dead prisoners as well as regular German army troops killed in fighting around Dachau were buried in two further mass graves by May 18, 1945 at the latest.

Italian memorial chapel "Regina Pacis"
Italian memorial chapel "Regina Pacis"

All the mass graves were exhumed by the French Missing Persons Service for War Victims between 1955 and 1959. After completion of the exhumation, those dead identified as French nationals were transported back to France. The rest of the dead, together with concentration camp victims from some abandoned concentration camp cemeteries in Upper Bavaria, were once again buried on the Leitenberg. The exhumation protocols formed the basis for a grave list: according to counts made by the responsible authorities, a total of more than 7,600 dead were buried at the concentration camp cemetery Leitenberg. After the exhumation today 7,439 dead are buried here.

The Memorial Cemetery was officially opened in December 1949; besides the graves, an octagonal tower-like memorial hall for the concentration camp victims as well as the Italian memorial chapel "Regina Pacis" (1963) are located there. In 1999 a memorial stone for the Polish victims under the dead was unveiled.