In Front of the Jourhaus

Station 1

Overview

The Dachau Concentration Camp was opened with the arrival of the first prisoners on March 22nd, 1933. This was the beginning of a terror system in Dachau that cannot be compared with any other state persecution and penal system. In June 1933, Theodor Eicke was appointed commandant of the concentration camp. He developed an organizational plan and rules with detailed stipulations, which were later to become valid for all concentration camps. Also from Eicke came the division of the concentration camp into two areas, namely the prisoners' camp surrounded by a variety of security facilities and guard towers and the so-called camp command area with administrative buildings and barracks for the SS.

Later appointed to the position of Inspector for all Concentration Camps, Eicke established the Dachau concentration camp as the model for all other camps and as the murder school for the SS.

The modern day memorial site includes the former prisoners’ camp, as well as the crematorium area. The largest section of the former Dachau Concentration Camp, the SS camp, is not open to the public. Visitors can view parts of the former camp while walking from the parking lot or bus stop to the former Jourhaus. The former SS camp, including the camp headquarters and training grounds, lie across from the Jourhaus and the former main entrance to the prisoners’ camp. From this viewpoint one can see the headquarters (on the right), the garages and the camp bakery (left of the building with the chimney), and the barracks of the SS training camp (in the middle, behind the trees).

After liberating the camp, the American troops took over control of the former SS barracks. Since 1972 the site has been used by the Bavarian riot police.

tl_files/images/gedenkstaette/rundgang/station01a.jpg

Aerial view of the former commandants area, around 1950. In front you see the "Jourhaus".
© US-Army, KZ-Gedenkstätte Dachau

Heutige Ansicht

Picture from 2007. On the right you see the former commandants offices, on the left a garage.

Detailansicht

On the spot where the visitor path is today has been the building of the political department. The metal corners mark the exact position of the building.